Sunday, August 2, 2009

Spicks and Specks Exhibition


I will be exhibiting some of my latest textile pieces throughout the month of August.

Exhibition is being held at Lorenza's, 29 Maryland Street, Stanthorpe. The cafe is open from 9am-5pm (Mon-Fri) and 9am-2pm (Sat-Sun).
If you're in the area during August, feel free to drop in for a look.
A brief abstract of the exhibition is below:
Spicks & Specks – A name chosen to represent the small pieces of our landscape that have been featured in this display of painted silk.

The pictures have been enhanced with thread. I am not an embroiderer, but enjoy the effect created by using stitches in a similar way an artist would use a pencil. Stitches create light effects and patterns on the silk and take the work a step further than the original painting.

I have been painting silk for over 20 years but am forever experimenting with new techniques, dyes and ways of presenting textiles.I use wax as a resist, just as in batik. The white parts are waxed – then the work is painted with dye and then further waxing and dyeing can take place. Each piece is painted with dye about 4 times. The wax is removed by ironing and then washed in shellite, and very hot soapy water.

I also use acrylics and mixed media, but my love is silk and I will continue to stretch the limits of this amazing fabric..

No comments:

Post a Comment